WDCEP's 2012 Profile of Shaw
The Washington, DC Economic Partnership's 2012 Shaw Neighborhood Profile -- viewable here-- offers an informative and compelling look into why Shaw is a great place to do business. Download a PDF of the Shaw neighborhood's 2012 Profile and Demographics here.
The Partnership notes that "Shaw is experiencing an urban renaissance of unprecedented proportions thanks to its proximity to the downtown core, excellent transportation access and lively cultural and entertainment venues"
Included in its snapshot of the neighborhood is that:
- Shaw boasts a Walk Score of 91 (making it a "Walker’s Paradise"),
- Shaw is home to the 2.3 million sq. ft. Washington Convention Center that hosted 204 events and more than one million people in 2011;
- Companies like the Association of American Medical Colleges, Living Social and United Negro College Fund are moving to the area,
- The historic Howard Theatre, will reopen in April 2012 after a $24 million renovation
- The 1,167-room Marriott Marquis convention center hotel is under construction and scheduled to open in 2014
- Business assistance and commercial property improvement services provided by the Shaw Main Streets, a Nationally Accredited Main Street, and the DC Department of Small and Local Business Development