It's no coincidence that since the inception of Shaw Main Streets, the Shaw neighborhood has seen well over a billion dollars of investment. Below is a rundown of a few of the catalytic projects in the pipeline and recently completed.
DEVELOPMENTS PLANNED OR UNDERWAY
655 New York Avenue
- Located in 1000 block of 7th Street and the 600 block of New York Avenue, NW, this new mega-complex will feature 678,000 square feet of trophy office space -- to be anchored by The Advisory Board --79,000 square feet of retail. The project is developed by Douglas Development and designed by Shalom Baranes. Status: Under Construction.
925 Florida Avenue
- Located in the 900 block of Florida Avenue, NW -- just north of U Street -- this is a 375,000 square foot development consisting of approximately 428 residential units and a 45,000 square foot Whole Foods grocery store. Its residential units will will have 30% at an affordable level of 30% and 50% of AMI. Developed by MRP Residential and Ellis Development, the design team includes PGN Architects, Hord Coplan Macht Inc., MV&A and Oculus. Status: Planned.
Blagden Alley Micro Units
- Located in the 900 block of M and the 1200 block of 9th Street, NW, this planned project will feature 121 apartment units to be built in two buildings connected by an iconic, glass enclosed pedestrian bridge in Blagden Alley. The project will also include 900 square feet of retail space. The concept is to offer small, fully furnished studios and shared amenity space such as a kitchen, fitness center, bicycle storage, and laundry areas. Designed by Hickok Cole architects and developed by SB-Urban and Rooney Properties. Status: Planned.
- Located at 9th Street NW and L Street NW, this $230 million project includes a 310-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel, a 190-room Residence Inn by Marriott hotel, 230 residential units, and approximately 3,000 square feet of ground floor retail. . Developed by Capstone Development and Quadrangle Development includes the redevelopment of a number of historic buildings located along 9th Street NW. Status: Under Construciton.
CityMarket at Phase 2
- Located within the blocks bounded by 7th, 9th, O, and P Streets, NW, the catalytic CityMarket at O project by Roadside Development will ultimately include over 87,000 square feet of retail, 600+ residential units, a 200 room hotel, and over 500 parking spaces when finished. The project has already revitalized the historic O Street Market, which was constructed in 1881, by restoring it and incorporating it in to a new 71,000-square foot Giant Food Store. The new store combines the charm of the 19th Century with 21st Century efficiency to create one of Washington's largest food stores and the East Coast's most unique and interesting shopping experiences. Phase 2 of the project includes another resdiential tower and ground floor retail along P and 9th Streets is expected to be complete in 2017. Status: Under Construction.
Parcel 42 -
Located in the 1700 block of 7th Street at the corner of 7th and R Streets, NW, this city-owned parcel will be redeveloped by a to-be-selected development team following an RFP process. Status: RFP Process Underway.
DEVELOPMENTS RECENTLY COMPLETED
- Atlantic Plumbing is a Class A residential and retail building at the intersection of 8th and V Streets. The 10-story building, located on the north side of V Street, will feature 310 luxury apartment units, approximately 19,100 square feet of retail and artist studio space (including a 10,000-square-foot Landmark Theater) and 165 below-grade parking spaces. The project ammenities include an elaborate rooftop terrace with a resort-style pool, indoor/outdoor bar, catering kitchen, lounge area, yoga/Pilates and spin studio, fitness center, outdoor kitchens, private gardening plots and a covered, movie screening area.
Across the street is 2030 8th Street @ Atlantic Plumbing, a luxury condominium building. The six-story building, located on the south side of V Street, features 62 luxury condominiums, approximately 4,700 square feet of retail space and 25 below-grade parking spaces.
Tenants began occupancy of both components of Atlantic Plumbing in 2016.
Gang of Three
- This project encompasses three historic row houses on 1200 block of 9th Street between M and N Streets. The site combined all three townhomes into a mixed-use of retail and office space. The retail entrances will open to the historic Blagden Alley and the main office entrance will face 9th Street. Tenants began occupancy in 2015.
Jefferson Market Place
– Located in the 1500 block of 7th Street, NW, and the 700 block of P Street, NW, this project redeveloped the former Kelsey Gardens apartment complex. Jefferson Market Place is a mixed-use development including 281 luxury apartments, 230 below-grade parking spaces, and 13,400 square feet of retail space. Jefferson Market Place features modern amenity spaces including a boutique-style lobby with a 24-hour concierge, state-of-the-art fitness center, resident business center, and community lounge with bar and gaming areas. Residents will also have exclusive access to two private courtyards on the ground floor, a landscaped roof deck on the seventh floor, and a large pool deck on the 8th floor roof. Occupancy began in fall 2014.
- Located in the 700 and 800 blocks of Florida Avenue, NW, these mixed use buildings by JBG includes 242 apartments above approximately 29,000 SF of ground floor retail and one level of below grade parking. The project architect is The Miller Hull Partnership. The first tenants moved in in 2016.
- Located at 7th and S Streets, NW (next to the Shaw Howard Metro Station), this mixed use development has 100,000 square feet of office space (which will be anchored by the headquarters of the United Negro College Fund), 224 apartments, and wrap-around ground level retail, and 188 below-grade parking spaces. The United Negro College Fund moved into the office building at 1805 7th Street NW in October 2012. Mockingbird Hill, the first retail business to open at Progression Place celebrated their grand opening in June 2013. The 7th Street Flats' first tenants moved in October 2013.
Washington Marriott Marquis Convention Center Hotel
– Situated adjacent to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, between 9th and 10th Streets NW, and L Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW, this new hotel spans almost the entire block. This $537 million project is a four-star, 1,167 room, Marriott Marquis hotel -- one of only three such properties in the country. Street level retail and restaurants energize 9th Street and Massachusetts Avenue. The Marriott Marquis opened in 2014.